How have I never made my own hummus before? I am baffled. I LOVE hummus and I can pretty much eat it on anything (especially cucumbers). So today I opened up a can of garbanzo beans for another recipe I was trying and I said “Wait a minute, I’m only using 1/4 cup of these, I should make hummus.” And then I said “No, it’s probably really hard and I’m really tired.” But I looked it up online and all the recipes I found had ONE step and it involved the Vitamix. Yup, I was sold.
From this recipe by TheKitchn
- 1 15-oz can of chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 of a fresh lemon, juiced
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced finely
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 ounce water – Optional (*I added this to mine to make the texture smoother)
- 1 teaspoon sumac (*If you don’t have this in your spice drawer, you can use za’atar or leave it out)
- Combine ingredients in blender until smooth.
- If the hummus is a little dry, just add a little more lemon juice or olive oil, a teaspoon at a time, until you have the desired consistency.
- Scoop hummus into a serving bowl and sprinkle sumac on top.