I promised this recipe last week, but finally got around to putting it all together! I got the inspiration for this filling salad from my July Foodzie box. We got a small box of this Bluebird Grain Farms Whole Grain Farro and wow it was so delicious. I didn’t really know a lot about farro before, so I did my research. It cooks similarly to brown rice, but has a nutty, richer taste with a little sweetness and it has a high nutritional value (16% protein). I honestly prefer it to brown rice because it has so much more flavor.
Makes around 4 cups
- 1 head of kale
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup farro
- pinch of unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Wash and dry kale. Remove the leaves from the stem and tear into strips. Layer onto baking sheet.
- Whisk together the toasted sesame oil, olive oil and soy sauce. Pour over kale.
- Bake around 20 minutes or until wilted.
- At the same time, cook farro in a pot of boiling salted water until tender. (Approximately 30 minutes). Drain well.
- Mix the roasted kale and farro together.
- You can top this with a bit of unsweetened coconut flakes to add sweetness to the dish.