For dinner tonight, I decided to make Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas. This is my absolute favorite dish to order at a Mexican restaurant, something about the combination of flavors that I just love. Making these quesadillas wasn’t hard at all- they just took a bit more prep work than a normal quesadilla. When cooking out my spinach, mushrooms and onions I had a revelation that they might also taste delicious over brown rice, so I’ll be experimenting with that next week.
These quesadillas are so flavorful that I decided to top them with fresh avocado and tomatoes instead of guacamole or salsa. The quesadillas tasted fresh, which I think is really important with Mexican food as it can tend to make you feel really full (might have something to do with the margaritas too…). But I liked that these quesadillas were light and a perfect quick dinner. I cooked them in the toaster oven as opposed to on the stove since I like my tortillas to be crunchy, but feel free to make these on the stovetop if you prefer.
Makes 2 quesadillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 portobello mushroom crown, chopped
- 4 medium cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 clove of garlic, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tortillas (I used Mission Plus Life Balance since they are low in calories)
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese (I used this kind from Kraft)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- In a medium frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat. Once the pan is hot and the olive oil has a sheen to it, add your onions and both types of mushrooms. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add spinach, garlic , salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook entire mixture until spinach has wilted down, approximately 2 minutes. Set aside
- Layer one tortilla with 1/8 cup of cheese. Add 1/2 of your spinach/mushroom mixture and top with additional 1/8 cup cheese. Top entire mixture with second tortilla to form a quesadilla.
- Place quesadilla into toaster oven and toast for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from toaster oven, slice into quarters and top with fresh avocado and tomatoes.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for second quesadilla.