Today I braved Costco at 1PM…and instead of indulging in a slice of pizza and frozen yogurt (which was screaming my name), I came home and prepared lunch with my mom instead.
We had a great light summer lunch with roasted tomato soup, grilled chicken over corn and tomato salad and my new favorite- cabbage slaw. I am not a fan of coleslaw and I’m not a fan of mayonnaise, which is shocking to Q and my mother who both love a good slather of mayo on anything. But this cabbage slaw is more like a salad than a coleslaw (and doesn’t have any mayo!). It has thin slices of cabbage and onion and is packed with cranberries and walnuts which provide a great texture and flavor and then topped with balsamic and oil.
This lunch was easy and delicious. I think it is a great example of how a healthy and filling lunch can come together quickly. We had the tomato soup and corn and tomato salad in the fridge already and we quickly grilled out our chicken and put together our cabbage slaw and we had lunch in under 20 minutes, which is way better than anything I would have gotten at Costco.
We used regular cabbage, but Napa cabbage would work well also. And instead of cranberries, you could use cherries for that same sour taste. For the oil part of our dressing, we used 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons of roasted walnut oil for an extra boost of walnut flavor, but feel free to only use olive oil if that’s what you have on hand.
Simple Cabbage Slaw
Makes 6-8 cups
This recipe will stay crunchy and last for many days in the fridge. It’s a great salad to bring on a picnic as it won’t get soggy.
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (dried cherries work also)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 head of cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced in a half moon shape (aka, cut onion in half and slice from there to get pieces that look like half moons)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons roasted walnut oil (like this)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place dried cranberries in a 2-cup measuring cup or microwaveable bowl. Add 1/4 cup water. Microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside and let sit for at least 5 minutes. (This will plump up the dried berries and make them moist).
- In a large serving bowl, layer cabbage, onions, cilantro, walnuts, carrots and plumped up cranberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic, olive oil and walnut oil. Pour over cabbage mix. Top with salt and pepper and mix.