Well it is officially Fall here in Los Angeles, we had a day of weather in the low 60s and it was perfect. Oh yes, East Coasters I know this is nothing to you, but to us here in LA, it is the perfect excuse to put on our sweaters and boots because Fall has arrived.
I love Fall, not only because my birthday falls in it (October 31, hence the pumpkin decor), but because it is the perfect season for watching a movie and snuggling in bed (unfortunately this Fall it will be with the puppies and not Q). It is also the perfect season for soups and chilis, two of my favorite meals.
Tonight my mom and I made a slow cooker curried cauliflower soup which was light, healthy and delicious. I love making soups because they are not only easy, but good for you. Many times when I order soups at restaurants I find them overly salted, but at home, you can really control your ingredients and create a soup just for you!
Curried Cauliflower Soup
This light and easy soup basically cooks itself. Serve with a few slices of toasted bread for a light Fall dinner.
Serves 6 to 8
Cooking Time: 4 – 6 hours
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon minced or grated fresh ginger
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus extra as needed
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cored and cut into 1-inch florets (or a 1 1/2 pound bag of florets)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- In a microwaveable bowl, combine onion, oil, curry powder and ginger and microwave for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion is softened. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir broth and cauliflower into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until cauliflower is tender, 4 to 6 hours.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender (we use our Vitamix) until smooth then transfer to a large saucepan. Stir in cream and add additional chicken broth as needed to adjust soup consistency. Reheat soup over medium-low until hot. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with cilantro.
Adapted from Slow Cooker Revolution