I know I make a lot of banana recipes, but I hate letting browning bananas go to waste. Last night I had a few bananas that were past their prime and I wanted to try the combination of bananas & chocolate chips, since I was craving a dessert/treat and not a breakfast banana bread (my usual go to with brown bananas).
The result? A delicious cakey, not too sweet muffin. The bananas weren’t overpowering (which I like) and the chocolate chips added a nice “treat-like” quality to the muffins. I had one after dinner and it completely satisfied my sweet tooth.
This recipe is basic and easy to complete. I also really like that you don’t have to haul out your stand mixer and can do it all by hand. I adapted the recipe below from Bon Appetit (although my batter created 15 not 12 muffins). In other reviews I read, people suggested using apple sauce or Greek yogurt instead of butter as well as adding a little vanilla and cinnamon to the batter. I think both variations would work well if you are looking to make a healthier muffin.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Makes 15 muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Skill Level: Easy
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large very ripe bananas
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line fifteen 1/3-cup muffin cups with muffin liners.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Using a ricer, mash the 3 bananas into a medium bowl. If you do not have a ricer, use a large fork instead. Add egg, melted butter and milk and mix.
- Stir banana mixture into dry ingredients using a spatula and folding the mixtures together. Stir until just blended (do not overmix). Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter amont prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake muffins until tops are pale golden and tester inserted into center comes out with some melted chocolate attached, but no crumbs. About 30 minutes. Transfer muffins to rack; cool.
Adapted from Bon Appetit, March 1999