If you are a common reader of the blog you know I am a huge lover of oatmeal. I eat it pretty much every day for breakfast. So let’s get into it, here are the top 5 reasons I LOVE oatmeal and you should to!
1. There are so many different ways to make it. My personal favorite is cooking it on the stove top with a half and half mix of vanilla almond milk and water (so if I’m using 1/2 cup steel cut oats, I use 3/4 cup each of the milk and water). When I was going into an office every day, I also liked making my oats the night before in a crock pot (so easy and it made enough for the whole week, so all I had to do was reheat it when I got to work, recipe here). Other methods include cooking it in the microwave or just adding hot water to pre-made oats like Quaker or Umpqua.
2. There are so many different varieties of oatmeal from steel cut to rolled oats. Steel cut oats are groats cut with rotating steel blades. During this process, each groat is cut into small pieces, resulting in oatmeal. Rolled oats are cut like steel cut oats, steamed, placed between two large rollers and pressed into the round, flat shape. Rolled oats can cook more quickly than steel cut oats, but they lose their nutty texture and natural flavor. My favorite brands of oatmeal are Trader Joe’s quick cook steel cut oats, Country Choice Organic Irish Oats, and a new favorite Coach’s Oats (which they sell at Costco, always a plus!).
Trader Joe’s Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats
3. There are so many toppings you can add to your oats! I like to add a tablespoon or two or some sort of nut butter to my oats (almond, peanut, sunflower seed). I also like to either add berries, raisins or almond slivers. Each morning you can have a totally different bowl of oatmeal with your mix of toppings!
Different types of nut butters (every time I type that I laugh)
With my current favorite topping – sunflower seed butter and raisins
4. Oatmeal is easy to travel with and is found everywhere! I have never been to a hotel that didn’t offer oatmeal. Mind you it isn’t as yummy as what I get at home, but for a healthy breakfast when I travel, it is an easy go to. Also, I bring instant packets and my Umpqua Oats on planes with me. All you have to do is ask the flight attendant for hot water and you are set. Again, a great alternative to airplane food and easy to throw in your carry on!
Hotel Oats (not as good as homemade, but they will do)
Umpqua Oats (they come in these cute containers and all you do is add hot water) (source)
5. Probably the most important reason I love it is because it is so filling. Oatmeal is a great source of fiber and antioxidents and honestly is the only breakfast that will keep me full until lunch.
Have I inspired you to try oatmeal for breakfast yet?