I love easy dinners. You know those dinners that take less than 15 minutes to prep and serve? This is one of those dinners. The best part? It’s healthy Mexican. Yup, you heard me, healthy and Mexican in the same sentence.
We start with a layer of brown rice. I happened to have some leftover rice in the fridge, but the only real “prep” work you will need to do is making some rice. The next step is adding some black beans, Mexican cheese, diced tomatoes, avocado and salsa to the bowl. Quickly fry an egg. Sprinkle some salt and pepper over the top and DONE.
I love this bowl because it is not only simple, but also delicious. It has plenty of protein to keep you full (the beans and the egg) and is just the right amount of food. You know that overly full feeling you get after Mexican? Not with this dish. This is one of my all-time favorite 15-minute meals. Enjoy!Mexican Burrito Bowl
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup rinsed and drained black beans
- 1/2 cup grated Mexican cheese
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup your favorite salsa (or more to taste)
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Divide the brown rice, black beans and cheese in half. Layer two bowls with the three ingredients, placing the rice first, then the black beans and then sprinkling the cheese over the top. Microwave (or heat) each bowl for 30-45 seconds until cheese has melted and ingredients are warm.
- Top each bowl with tomato, avocado and salsa. Set bowls aside.
- Spray a medium frying pan with Pam (or other baking spray) and heat the pan on high heat for at least 30 seconds. Crack one egg into the pan. Let the egg sit and cook. It is done when the whites are cooked through and the edges begin to turn up. Remove egg from pan and place on top of one of your bowls. Repeat with second egg and place on top of second bowl.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on top of each bowl and enjoy.